Monday, June 17, 2013

The New Digital Divide


As a middle school teacher in this ever changing world of technology I find it a constant challenge to prepare students to compete in the 21 st century. Due to budget cuts and decrease in funding to education, resources are depleting and there is limited access to the most current technologies which result in an increase to the digital divide.

However, there seems to be a new group of students that are at a disadvantage  The Title I schools (high poverty) has experienced an influx of funding for technology  The students have access to iPads, tablets and the newest innovations in technology, yet the problem is not solved. I  teach at a school that does not qualify for Title I funds but there is not a lot of parental support (financially) for the school. The families are working class but not wealthy. This school as older computers, outdated technology and only a handful of iPads.

In essence the digital divide has not narrowed but rather shifted. I pose a question of ow then can we as a country eliminate the digital divide? Will we ever have equality in education? What responsibility should parents have in ensuring the QUALITY of their chils education?

No comments:

Post a Comment