Friday, May 31, 2013

Text2Talk

I remember a time when we had to be conscious of the times phone calls were placed and mindful of the volume of our voice in a public conversation. Texting is without a doubt the most popular way of communicating for kids from 2-92 in the 21st century. It has afforded all the opportunity to "talk" anytime. anyplace or anywhere with little to no restrictions. The question is have we as a society allowed this liberty to eliminate or alter the traditional way of conversing. Texting lingo defies the laws of the English language by the removal of vowels, replacement of letters with numbers and giving no respect to the capitalization of the letter "I".
I've noticed how students are unable to effectively communicate in open forums and yet constantly post to social media websites (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram) to carry on "their idea" of productive conversations. Can we contribute this to texting? Is it fair for us to expect students to be able to differentiate between social interactions and professional interactions when communicating? Who is responsible for teaching them and will this eventually be a factor in the development of curricula?

4 comments:

  1. This is so relevant!!! I feel that so many relationships are effected by this way of living. I always find myself texting so much that I now make myself call people and speak with them so that I can feel that the conversation is authentic and I can properly interpret their emotions. Texting can be misleading having you believe one thing when really it is the complete opposite! AWESOME POST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Texting has most certainly took over the communication world. Even in relationships, issues are discussed through texting instead of the traditional talking face to face or over the phone. This may be effective for some people, but I feel as if it takes away from the true feelings of those who are involved. As far as education, texting can be a quicker way of communication versus email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your stance on texting. It constantly crosses over into the educational realm. For example, students' writing skills suffer as they struggle to differentiate between academic writing and texting, and often don't understand why texting language is not appropriate for conveying thoughts in the classroom. I also think texting effects social skill development in that comments made over text come without the same consequences of a face to face conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Centora! You are right. Texting has a language of its own and it teaches kids incorrect grammar. However, I do think that sometimes its just easy to text when you just have a simple question and you don't really need to actually talk with that person. But sometimes you can be so quick to send a text message and actually send something that doesn't make sense. I believe it takes the personality out of conversation when you text.

    ReplyDelete